A house of learning, past and present.
William Logan (1717-1776)
William Logan inherited Stenton after his father’s death in 1751. He used Stenton mainly as a summer residence, living in Philadelphia during the rest of the year. Stenton was a working farm during this William’s tenure, with over 500 acres. William’s tenure at Stenton was also an exciting time in American history as the colonies moved ever closer to war with England. William died in 1776, the year of the Declaration of Independence. This first reading was heard by a fifteen-year old girl who lived next door to Independence Hall. Her name was Deborah Norris and she was to marry William Logan’s son and come to live at Stenton. Stenton was mostly vacant during the Revolution. An important landmark before and during the Battle of Germantown in October 1777, it served for a time as the headquarters for General George Washington and General Sir William Howe, the British Commander. General Howe stayed at Stenton for several days immediately before the Battle of Germantown and it was here that he heard the word of General Washington’s attack. According to family tradition, after the Battle of Germantown, Stenton was saved from burning by Dinah, the a servant at Stenton who had been recently manumitted from slavery.